All of us at SoCal 350 envision a world with equitable clean air and water and a stable climate through a fossil-fuel-free future. We strive to empower Southern California communities to join together for environmental, social, and economic justice. This pursuit is on-going. Our actions have taken place rain or shine, but today we face an entirely new and widespread issue with coronavirus (Covid-19.)
With this in mind, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the following actions:
March 26 – ABC’s of Living Near a Refinery – Manhattan Beach – 6:00pm
We will be rescheduling the event in the near future and are working on a webinar to educate people about the connection between Amazon Crude and the Chevron El Segundo Refinery. So, stay tuned!
April 23 – Earth Week 2020- Finance Day Chase Bank Action
We’re pivoting to a series of online and individual tactics to keep up pressure on financial institutions that continue to fund fossil fuels and deforestation. We can share ideas tomorrow and make our own social media/video climate strike/divestment actions!
As activists, it’s disheartening to reschedule these powerful and impactful gatherings, but in the best interest of our community, neighbors, and society as a whole, we’ll abide by the CDC’s recommendation to embrace social distancing. We need to flatten the curve, ensuring the health and well-being of all so we can refocus and redirect our energy to our mission.
Those who have been affected by this virus are in our thoughts.
We’ll be posting updates and information on how we can maintain momentum through digital action, but in the meantime, we encourage everyone to embrace the following:
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water for 20 seconds with frequency
- Avoid touching your face
- Avoid gathering in large groups
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow, sleeve, or a tissue, not your hands
- Stay home when you can, practice social distancing and stay six feet apart from others
- Reach out to elderly neighbors and loved ones who may need assistance
- Order take-out & delivery from local businesses that need support
- Call your healthcare provider if you’re feeling unwell
- Meditate, walk, and do what you can to stay positive